Cherie brought these to our farm event and they were so good she won a box of veggies to take home. They are delicious!
- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup white spelt flour, 1 cup wholemeal flour)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil (melted) or Nuttelex
- 1 cup water (or non-dairy milk) – must be room temp or lukewarm if using
- coconut oil or the batter will seize
- 1 carrot (grated)
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream (add more or less if required)
- 60 grams vegan dark chocolate (I used Lindt Dessert Premium Dark)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 if fan forced).
To make cake
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, sugar, chia seeds, ginger, cinnamon, bicarb soda and salt). Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients - two small, one larger. Pour vinegar in one small depression, vanilla in the other and the melted coconut oil or Nuttelex in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth. Fold in grated carrot.
Pour into greased or lined cake pan.
Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool. Top with glaze or dust with icing sugar.
To make cupcakes simply pour batter into cupcake pan of your choice that has been greased or lined and adjust baking time. Makes approx 12 regular size cupcakes (bake for approx 20 minutes) or 30 mini muffins (bake for approx 15 minutes).
To make chocolate coconut glaze
Add chocolate and coconut milk to a small saucepan and melt over very low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Place icing sugar in a mixing bowl and add melted chocolate mixture. Whisk or use electronic mixer/handheld beaters until smooth and glossy. Drizzle glaze over cake/cupcakes