This recipe can be made many different herbs and greens from the farm, depending on what’s in season. I like to use chives or parsley and spinach, sorrel, silverbeet or rainbow chard. You can also add finely chopped broccoli, chervil, spring onions, capsicum, tomato, finely sliced fennel, grated beetroot or baby brassica greens like radish or turnip leaves. Mushrooms, ham or bacon also make great additional ingredients.
Puff or shortcrust pastry
200mL crème fraiche, sour cream, cream or milk
¾ cup cheese of your choice
1 finely diced onion
½ cup finely diced parsley
100g sorrel, spinach and chard mix
Salt (not too much if using bacon or feta)
3 rashers of finely chopped bacon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a pie dish with baking paper and top with the pastry. Prick it all over with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, crème fraiche, cheese, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and bacon (if using) in a little olive oil until soft.
- Finely dice the greens and herbs.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and top with the onion mixture, greens and herbs.
- Pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve this with a green salad for a great fresh texture combo.