The go to recipe when you want kids to eat eggplant. Our daughter loves making this and we all love eating it.Ingredients
1 cup flour
2 cups breadcrumbs
- Slice the eggplant into 1cm thick rounds. (You can salt it and leave it for ten minutes before rinsing and drying to remove the bitterness if you like but we don’t usually bother when using fresh eggplant from the farm.)
- Beat the eggs in a bowl large enough to dip the eggplant slices in.
- Add the flour to a separate bowl and the breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Line up the eggplant, flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in a production line in that order with an empty plate at the end.
- Dip each eggplant to coat both sides in the flour, eggs and then breadcrumbs in that order and place on the empty plate. Continue until all eggplant are coated. It helps to only use one hand for this as it will get quite messy.
- Heat 1cm oil on medium heat in a large flat based frying pan until a piece of breadcrumb coating sizzles when dropped in. Add a layer of eggplant slices until the pan is full. Fry for about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second side. Be careful not to burn them – turn down the heat if necessary. Remove from the pan onto paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining eggplant. Enjoy!
This is delicious by itself or as a side dish to a main meal. You can add it to sandwiches, burgers or salads. I keep some in the fridge and make a salad with the cut up eggplant slices, rocket, fetta, roasted pumpkin, capsicum, boiled eggs and whatever other vegetables I have around.