This dish makes use of tomatoes harvested during summer, roasted in the oven and then blended and preserved in sterile jars for use in Winter soups and stews. Well worth doing.
Ingredients1 tablespoon oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 cups chopped greens from the farm
1 cup rice
1 cup of tomato passata
1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Heat the oil in a lidded casserole dish suitable for both stove top and oven.
- Fry the onion, garlic and paprika for a minute or two until the onion is soft.
- Add the rice and stir to coat for 1 minute.
- Add the greens, parsley, tomato passata, water and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and return to the boil.
- Place the lid on and bake for 35-40 minutes in the oven.
If you like you can add chicken, chorizo or bacon to this dish. Simply fry it briefly (to seal it) at the beginning with the oil before the onion mix. Then remove it from the pan and cook the onion mix in the same pan. Add the meat back in on top of the rice mixture after step 5 before baking in the oven.