This is so easy and results in a delicious base for pasta sauces or a pizza. It is also a rich addition to soups and stews. It’s so good I try and make enough to last all year.
As many ripe tomatoes as you can fit on trays in the oven
A small handful of basil leaves
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place on an oven tray cut side up.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Add 4 or 5 torn basil leaves and 3 whole garlic cloves in their skins to each tray on top of the tomatoes.
- Spritz the tomatoes lightly with the vinegar.
- Drizzle the tomatoes generously with olive oil.
- Bake in an oven for 1 hour at 150 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the garlic cloves and put them with the roasted tomatoes into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- You can use the sauce straight away, freeze it in a container or pour it into sterilised jars. For sterilising, fill while the jars and the sauce are still hot and then boil the sealed jars rapidly in a pot of hot water for 10 minutes.
This relish will last a few days in the fridge or up to 12 months in a sterilised jar.
Leave a comment